Monday, August 25, 2014

A tribute to Auntie Uhm

"Auntie Uhm has died." Four little words brightly illuminated on my phone. Just four little words and then it's all over.


Auntie Uhm...


Her house was situated in a part of Riversdal where you can literally see right into their little town. Auntie Uhm would be found in her livingroom, lying on her chaise lounge (the old body wasn't co-operating anymore) peering through the doorway. The only time her eyes would leave the outside world was when "7de Laan" was on. Due to the fact that her eyes were constantly focussed on what was happening in the world outside, she was often privy to information before the local tabloid could get hold of it (at least that was how it seemed through my eyes as I was growing up). I once walked away from Grandma's house (don't ask me what I was pissed about) and just went into a direction. Of course I don't know Riversdal very well and very predictably got very lost. Wandering through the streets, I just looked around for some kind of landmark to put me on the way again. And as  I looked for my way, I saw this round little face peering at me from around the doorjamb. As I gravitated towards her like she was a beacon, she picked up the phone and without giving the other person the opportunity to speak, she simply said: " She just got here."And that image of her will forever prevail: that of Auntie Uhm keeping watch from her doorway, the world unable to pull a fast one in front of eyes.


RIP auntie Uhm...

No comments:

Post a Comment